Friday, June 19, 2015

Love Letter Research

I'm always on the lookout for stories about letter writing. It's always such a joy to see confirmation that handwritten correspondence is still important to people.

This week, I ran across a story about Michelle Janning, a college sociology professor at Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington. She has studied the way people keep letters, why they keep them, and so forth.

In a blog post she wrote last year, Michelle said, "I study where people store love letters, whether they are paper or digital, how often they look at them, and whether they are located “on” or “in” things. ... Interestingly, both men and women in my research prefer to save the paper love letters over digital letters like emails and texts. There’s something more gratifying about holding and folding than swiping and pinching, I guess."

You can read more of that blog post here.

You can read more about Michelle Janning's research on her blog.

1 comment:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I don't even know why I collect the items I do. My collection is giraffes and postage stamps of people.
I do keep my letters I receive. I guess it way of documenting history...I've googled looking for diaries and letter. My last one was from the great depression.

Coffee is on

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...