Tuesday, April 15, 2014

What do you write about?


In yesterday's post, I shared with you some information about Oregon Humanities' letter writing project. If you clicked through to the OH site, you may have read some of their suggestions for what participating Oregonians might write in their letters to a stranger.

OH suggests that the letter writers, "Fill a page, or maybe two. Write about yourself—What makes you who you are? Where do you live? What do you do? Where do you come from, what have you seen, and where are you going? What are your hopes and fears and desires? What brings you joy, and what brings sadness? Share a favorite story or a random memory. Be as bold as you dare."

Do you have other ideas about how to start off a penpal relationship? What do you write in a letter to someone you don't know? I'd love to hear your ideas!

(PS: Please note that, to prevent spam, I moderate the comments. So, if your comment doesn't show up immediately, know that I'll check on it as soon as I can and post it. Thank you for commenting!)

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Ask questions - not so many that it seems weird. Tell a little about yourself then ask a question. Describe your neighborhood then ask about theirs (or job, hobby, ect)

StoneZebra said...

I usually share an interest with any new pen-friend and that's what I write about at first, then maybe a quick little bio, and lastly just the everyday happening in my life. That's ordinarily more than enough for a first letter.

Wondering where you found that cool postcard? Or did you make it with an online app? I seem to vaguely remember such a thing but can't quite pull up where it was or what it was called....

365 Letters said...

Those are great ideas, Jenny and StoneZebra! Thanks for sharing.

The image was created online on a site called Wordle. I had seen such posters around here and there and finally searched how to create one. It took me a few attempts to get what I was looking for, but I liked this version.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...