Monday, May 14, 2012

Letter of Introduction

If you love writing letters but find it to be a one-way street because your friends and family never write you back, getting a penpal might be the solution to your problem. Last week, I blogged about how to find a penpal.

Once you've discovered a complete stranger you want to exchange snail mail with, you're faced with that blank sheet of stationery and the question looming in your mind "What do I say?" If you're new to letter writing and/or penpalling, you might want to develop the "letter of introduction," a basic missive that tells just enough to interest your new penpal without (1) overwhelming him/her or (2) handing your identity over to any unscrupulous characters lurking about out there.

Before you start to write your first letter to a new penpal, think about what makes you you. Think of a few things about you that make you interesting. What's your favorite color? Do you have any pets? What is your town like? What's your favorite food? What color is your hair?

Write up a little blurb about yourself, and don't forget to talk about why you like to write letters.

But, don't stop there. Ask some questions. Give your new penpal a chance to write about him- or herself.

Do you have anything extra to slip into the envelope? Some stickers? A bookmark? A map of your hometown?

Then, put that letter in the mail and sit back and wait on the reply!

Happy letter writing!

3 comments:

Donna Becker said...

Where has this blog been all my life!?!
Just kidding, of course, but I'm delighted to have found your blog. Writing letters is a fondness for me, but I can hardly think of anything to write about ... well ... except for the weather ... and how boring is that? Unless the recipient is a climatologist. And how many of those do I know? Zippo.
So, I'll be happily following your posts. Thank you for focusing on this wonderful subject.

Unknown said...

Sometimes, I hit a wall on what to write, do you? You've given me a few new ideas to include which are great, Thanks! ;)

Malea said...

The bit about asking questions is crucial. I also like to take some time to learn about the other person's country, maybe looking for current news stories (like maybe elections in France), so I can ask about that. I ask if things common where I live (like Starbucks) is even in existence where they live. It helps to start an actual back and forth rather than just a letter that is all about "me me me me" every time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...