Thursday, April 21, 2011

Letter Writing Topics 107-113

Here in this part of Texas, we've been overwhelmed by wildfires this week. Thousands of acres not far from us have burned. We wake up every morning to a house that smells like a campfire. Everyone is on edge, hoping that the fires are put out soon.

Many people who live near the fires have been evacuated. We have city fire departments, volunteer fire departments, out-of-town and out-of-state fire departments, the Texas Forest Service and now federal firefighters here helping to extinguish the wildfire.

People from the communities in this area are making donations upon donations. They're giving clothing, toys, bedding, etc. for the evacuees and those who have lost their homes, and they're donating water and other drinks, food, eye wash, etc. for the firefighters.

Last night, we started getting a little bit of rain, and it's been cloudy and humid for most of the day, so hopefully, they'll be able to get this situation under control.

All of that brings me to the first letter writing topic for this posting:

Letter #107: Write a letter of thanks to someone who might not hear "thank you" often enough. Consider firefighters, police officers, deputies, police department dispatchers, 9-1-1 operators, ambulance drivers and other emergency workers. Tell someone how much you appreciate what her or she does.

Letter #108: What is your favorite way to relax? A warm bubble bath? New age music? A hammock in the shade? Write about it in a letter today.

Letter #109: Do you spring clean? Or, is your house always clean? Tell someone today how you keep house.

Letter #110: On my desk is a paperweight that my cousin gave me for my birthday. It is a crescent moon featuring a quote by Anais Nin: "Dreams are necessary to life." It's a greatly inspiring quote, and I enjoy reading it every day. What quote inspires you? Write about it in a letter today.

Letter #111: As I mentioned above, neighbors have been helping neighbors around here this week. From giving a place to stay to plowing up a firebreak around someone's house, everyone has come together to survive the wildfires. Who are your neighbors? Do you know them? Do you share a cup of coffee every morning, or are you more like nod-and-wave neighbors? Tell your penpal about your neighbors.

Letter #112: Do you talk to yourself? I don't, usually. But, all around me, people talk to themselves. When I'm in the same room with someone, and I hear them talking, I think they're talking to me. So, I'm constantly trying to answer people who say, "Oh, I'm just talking to myself." Is it normal to talk to yourself all the time? Is it normal not to? Discuss it in a letter, maybe even a letter to yourself.

Letter #113: Are you a copy cat or an original? Do you love to spot a new fashion trend that someone else is wearing and then try it out yourself? Or, do you prefer to be like no one else and do your own thing? Write about your personality in a letter today.

Happy letter writing!


4 comments:

Rhea said...

I just discovered your blog from Ink Nouveau. I saw the "365 letters" and was intrigued thinking maybe you meant writing one calligraphy type letter a day!!! Duh.... I reverted to letter writing myself as the email craze has seriously worn off me. My friends/family LOVE getting my letters & I love trying new pens & inks! Win-Win !

Elle Mental said...

I hope that the fires are brought under control soon. I know what it is like to deal with wild fires, we lived in southern California for a couple of years.... :)

I enjoy your blog very much thanks for all your efforts!
Elle
www.artofaletter.blogspot.com

Letter examples said...

Very nice blog you've got here. Your letter writing topics are very practical. Thanks for sharing.

hellogoodbyedesigns said...

Hey I have just come across your blog and so happy that people do still love writing letters just as much as I do!! I absolutely love typewriters too and would love to have one!!!! Funny how vintage is all in now!!
Thank you for sharing on your blog! Please check out my blog and my letter sets on my etsy shop!! Love Tania xXx hellogoodbyedesigns.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...