Friday, November 5, 2010

Letter #309 -- Annoying computers

The other day, my 10-year-old daughter commented that she just does not understand how people ever lived without computers or TVs or VCRs and DVD players. We just laughed and laughed. "Well, what would people DO without those things?" she demanded to know.

We started listing off activities...read -- books, magazines, newspapers -- play games, write letters, talk to each other, exercise, cook, go see friends, garden. I don't know when we stopped listing off non-electronic things to do, but I'm sure it was long after she rolled her eyes.

More often than not, I wonder how in the world we manage to get through the day in spite of all the electronics in our lives. Thanks to cell phones, we can never actually get away from it all. Thanks to computers, we are bombarded with information all day long.

And, then, when computers break down, we are faced with the frustration of trying to get them repaired and with the inconvenience of suddenly being without what has become our life line. Last week, I mentioned that I had gotten behind on my letter writing topic because of computer problems. Well, they struck again today. This time, I swiftly put the wheels in motion to fix the problems, but still, I lost a lot of data that I rely on. I'll now set about trying to rebuild what I lost.

What are your most annoying electronic problems? What do you do when they strike? Do you ever wish you just lived on the side of a mountain with no electricity at all? Or, do you wish you were so connected to your computer that all you had to do was think and your thoughts would appear on the screen?

Write a letter about your attitude toward electronics today.

1 comment:

Christine H. said...

I am addicted to electronics too, although I miss the days before cell phones. At the same time, I am able to sit here in Hawaii and check my email...but there's the question: Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...