Sunday, July 18, 2010

Letter #199 -- You scream, ice cream, we all scream


July is National Ice Cream Month, and today, July 18, 2010, the third Sunday of the month, is National Ice Cream Day. Apparently, in 1984, U.S. President Ronald Reagan proclaimed the third Sunday of July as National Ice Cream Day.

What kind of ice cream do you like? Do you have a favorite brand? Flavor? Do you prefer it plain, with sprinkles, with whipped cream, nuts and a cherry on top?

I like all kinds of ice cream. A nice crisp vanilla ice cream is delightfully simple. But, a bowl of chocolate, strawberry or pralines and cream ice cream is great, too!

Today, write a letter about ice cream. Maybe include your favorite ice cream memory or a recipe for homemade ice cream.

Letter writing topic for July 18, 2010

(Ice cream graphic courtesy of CKSinfo.com)

1 comment:

Lynn, the letterwriter said...

No doubt my favorite ice cream memory was a place called Aldrich's Dairy in Fredonia, NY, just a few miles from where I grew up. With the cows right on site, of course that place made the freshest, tastiest ice cream!

I remember Friday summer nights, going with my family to Aldrich's and standing in line with all the hungry patrons, waiting to get my chocolate peanut butter cup cone (that stuff was my favorite!) Or even winter weekends, having lunch at Aldrich's after church (and hardly being able to wait to finish my sandwich so I could have a hot fudge sundae).

A photo of me as a kindergartner, eating a little mint chocolate chip cone, made it into the local paper when my class toured the Aldrich dairy. :)

I went back to NY a couple years ago and couldn't wait to take my husband and stepson to Aldrich's. I was truly crestfallen when I discovered it had closed up--one more family business fallen victim to big franchises.

I've had good ice cream in my lifetime, but that wasn't just ice cream. That was an experience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...