Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Funny letter scene

We were watching a DVD of "The Lucy Show" from the 1960s. In this episode ("Lucy the Bean Queen"), Mr. Mooney gets mad at Lucy for putting 6 cents worth of postage on letters that only required 5 cents. Mr. Mooney, of course, was a banker, and that 1-cent difference was important to him.

Lucy explained that she was out of 5-cent stamps and was using two 3-cent stamps on each envelope. "It's only a penny," Lucy says, to Mr. Mooney's dismay,

I have to admit to being as loose with my pennies sometimes. When I'm out of the exact postage, I have resorted to putting more than the required amount of stamps on letters, just to get them in the mail. I try not to do that very often, though.

Happy letter writing!

2 comments:

phonelady said...

well my dear I am here to tell you that all of us have done that I am sure and besides we are keeping the post office in business so I dont worry about putting more postage on a letter cause in reality we are keeping someone in a job . Lol !!! thanks for sharing andposting this .

PostMuse said...

I'm super careful about not going over on postage. When postage was going up and up and up I bought a roll of 3,000 1¢ stamps (the pretty Tiffany Lamp ones) so I could always have the right postage. I also bought a very pretty postage scale, which looks nice sitting out in the open. And I convinced the USPS clerk to give me one of the cardboard size charts they have with the envelope measures and the slot to check for thickness.

Having said all that, I do make sure I err on the side of too much postage when the scale says something is just a wee bit under one ounce or if the envelope feels just a wee bit non-machinable. I would hate for a recipient to have to pay postage due.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...