Monday, June 15, 2009

Writing to our children

I don't know if all kids are like my daughter, but sometimes she seems embarrassed when I tell her how proud I am of her. I think maybe a lot of people are like that.

Now, of course, that doesn't mean I'm going to stop telling her that. I think she needs to hear it.

But, just in case she's not listening when I say it out loud, I try to take the time to write those sentiments in a letter every now and then. That way, she'll have the words "I'm proud of you" around long after our conversation has faded.

I hope that she'll save the letters and have them to look back on throughout her lifetime. Not to make me look good, but so that she'll always know how loved she is.

Are there children in your life that you can write to today? Here are a few tips:

* Keep it on the appropriate age level. Write simply and sweetly.
* Be specific. If you're telling them that you're proud of them, tell them why.
* Use "proper" letter-writing format so they'll learn how to write a letter. Put the date at the top, use a nice salutation (Dear Susie,), end with an appropriate closing (Love, Mom; Thinking of you, Aunt Bee).
* Let them know you've been thinking about them and why.
* Share a little something from your life...mention how happy you were to see some flowers blooming today or how it's been gloomy and rainy for days and you're looking forward to some sunshine.
* Get a little nostalgic, but not too much. Share a memory from your childhood, but don't get preachy about it.
* Ask some questions...give them something to write back about.
* Write a P.S. Make it something fun.
* Include something...a bookmark, a cartoon, a puzzle, a photo.

Happy letter writing!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...