Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Send an encouraging note

Are you having problems thinking of who to write to? Do you have a friend or relative who has lost his or her job? Send them a cheery note.

You don't even have to mention the job loss, if you don't want to. Just let them know that you're thinking of them. Maybe share a magazine clipping or print something off of the Internet to include.

If you can, suggest a lunch together. Be specific. Say something like, "I'd love to have lunch with you next week. I've been wanting to try that new sandwich shop down on Main Street. I'll call you this weekend to see when our schedules match-up."

Of course, put it in your own words. Whatever works for you. "Hey, Dude! Let's grab a burger at Joe's next week. I'll text you this weekend to set a time."

If you're comfortable offering advice, do it gently. "If I can help with your job search, just let me know. I helped my cousin with his resume last month." Or, maybe, "I have a lot of information left over from my job hunt last year; I'd be happy to share it with you, if you're interested."

Even though this blog is about letter writing, if you think this particular friend won't write back via snail mail, be sure to provide your e-mail address, cell phone number, etc. Give him/her some way of getting in touch with you.

Things to avoid: Pity, depressing stories about how your nephew has been out of work for three years, unsolicited advice, "I told you so" phrases, blame, etc.

Things to include: Normal conversations and news, friendly tone, compassion, understanding, an offer to help, etc.

The main thing is to just get a letter in the mail.

1 comment:

MrsMama said...

Thank you for this. I am now inspired! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...