Thursday, April 16, 2009

Vintage cards


In honor of Card and Letter Writing Month, I dug through my big box of stationery and cards and found my vintage cards.

To tell you the truth, I don't remember where they all came from. Some were in my Granny's things, and some I bought at thrift stores.

I don't know much about vintage greeting cards, so I really don't know how old they are. Only one, the card with the little angel sitting on a mushroom writing a letter, is dated, and it says MCMLV, which is 1955. And, the engagement card is obviously from the 1970s, I'm guessing. I remember when those cards were popular. In fact, images such as that were on all sorts of things, spiral notebooks, necklace pendants, bracelet charms, etc.

Somewhere, I have several vintage Christmas cards, too.

I've never quite figured out what to do with them. I've thought of framing them and arranging the framed cards in a grouping on the wall. But, I've never gotten around to that. I have duplicates of some of the cards, so I could send some with letters or use them in collages.

Does anyone collect old cards? If you have any, how do you display them? Why do you collect them?

Give me some ideas!

9 comments:

Sydney and Zoe Designs said...

Cute cards! I think they would look nice in those "floating" picture frames; the kind where you sandwich the item between two sheets of glass in a frame.

The Missive Maven said...

Love the cards. Adorable.

I "collect" vintage stationery (letter paper), but I collect it in order to write letters on it!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

We purchased a very old house..1900..and it came with contents and all. The lady who lived here collected everything and I found boxes of old cards as well as post cards dating from 1890 all the way to the 40s. I have had such fun going through all of them although I don't display them.

Kim Caro said...

vintage is awesome

Shannon said...

How's the project going? Are you writing everyday? I think it's such a cool idea.

Thanks for visiting Selah Says. I hope others think my girl is as wonderful as I do! :-)

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

I collect vintage postcards and I love them!! I use metal florist frogs to display them around the house because I can change them with the season and they don't get ruined. I just enjoy reading them, people were so simple by them! they took the time to write about Sunday church or the hard work at the farm. I also adore the fact that addresses were not necessary, just the name of the recipient and the town...

cabin + cub said...

What a great collection! I love vintage cards... you should def. frame them.
My husband has all his b-day cards in a box from since he was little.

HereBeDragons said...

Sometimes at birthdays, my grandma will apologise for giving me an "old card" she had. "Grandma!" I say. "It's cute. It's vintage now!"

Mel said...

These are so beautiful! I should dig around in the attic to look and see if my mum kept any. (:

mel218659@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...