Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Peaceful Pastime

I don't know about you, but nowadays I often feel overwhelmed with everything that's going on in the world. I'm a journalist, so I'm not blaming the media, but often it's just too much to handle...war, mass murder/suicides, economic woes, salmonella poisoning, and the list goes on and on.

But, last Thursday, our electricity was off at home for almost the entire day. It went off in the middle of our morning rush, after I had fixed breakfast but before I had dried my hair. We lit some candles and finished getting ready. After too many phone calls to the electric company, they finally showed up out on the highway to replace the pole that had broken off at the ground. (Best I can tell, the wildfire the week before had weakened the pole, which was never replaced despite being burned, and then high winds snapped the pole at the ground.)

When the lights went out, instead of creating panic or mayhem in our household, the sudden quietness enveloped our lives in a gentle peace.

Except for our voices, there was total quietness. No TV blaring out the tragic news of the day or the upcoming weather. No radio screeching the latest hits or telling me what they decided at the recent city commissioners' meeting. No hum from the computers. No rumbling or buzzing from the dryer. Things we never realize make noise (coffee pot, lights, etc.) were quiet.

The lack of things to compete with brought down our own level of chaos. No need to yell in order to be heard. No need to rush...there was much less to do. I couldn't dry my hair with the hair dryer; a quick brush would have to do — it would dry on the way to work. I couldn't check e-mail or the blog. Those would have to wait till later. There was no choice.

Letter writing can produce a similar sense of peacefulness. Writing a letter doesn't require electricity, Internet service or much of anything else. All you need is a writing utensil, some paper (sometimes, that's not really necessary -- you can mail a coconut with a message written/carved on it or a wooden postcard), an envelope (again, not really needed -- any piece of paper can be folded into an envelope or self-mailer), a postage stamp, and access to postal service.

Stamps can be ordered by mail (ask at your post office for a form). Depending on where you live, you should be able to drop your letter in a nearby mail box for the postal employee to pick up. Obviously, some places don't have door-to-door mail delivery (see this earlier blog entry), but I think most do.

I'm recommending that you take a few minutes, maybe more, today to sit down, relax and write a letter. Turn off the TV. Turn off the radio. Turn off the (yikes!) computer. If it's still daylight and nice weather at your house, take your pen and paper and sit outside to write a letter. Enjoy the peacefulness of reconnecting with an old friend, introducing yourself to a new friend or catching up with family.

6 comments:

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Great post! How come we need these power outages, to remember how hectic life _doesn't_ really have to be, hu? But it surely is finding a silver lining in the cloud, to discover this.

And yes - letter writing is such a peaceful thing to do. I'm so happy I made the effort to get back into the swing of it. :-)

Gentle hugs,
'Aunt Amelia'

The Missive Maven said...

Absolutely! You've caught some of my favorite aspects of letter-writing.

And incidentally, some of my best letter-writing time was spent at my husband's family's getaway house in the middle of nowhere, Maine, which did not have electricity. Wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Great reminder. I love to receive a letter in the mail!

Lou said...

Lovely post!

I think your idea for this blog, to write a letter every day of 2009, is fantastic and unique! You have gained yourself a new follower.

And you are right; there is something quite exciting about opening up a handwritten letter in the post, particularly when all you usually receive are bills!
:)

Monster Girl said...

this has inspired me to write a bunch of letters tonight. thanks. :)

Cynthia L. H. said...

Beautiful!
:^)
C

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...