Thursday, April 9, 2009

One of my favorite letters

Even before this year and this project, I've written lots of letters.

When I was a kid, we moved several times. So, I wrote to friends in Muskogee, Oklahoma; Monroe, Louisiana; Plainview, Texas; and, Winnsboro, Louisiana. I also wrote to family...my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins...after I left for college, my parents and brother and sister. Even though my husband and I have rarely been apart for long in the 20 years we've been a couple, I've written quite a few love letters to him. And, in my daughter's almost-nine years, I've written several letters to her.

But, I must say one of my favorite letters to write was the one inviting friends and family to our wedding in May 1991.

We didn't have what many people would call a traditional wedding. Our ceremony was in a park in Lubbock, Texas, on a bright spring morning. Lace and pearls really wasn't my style, so I had a simple but beautiful wedding dress made from a cream-colored cotton brocade. Instead of a veil, I had my hair up in a bun and the bun was encircled with cream-colored roses and baby's breath flowers. Those same fresh flowers made up my small bouquet. They also decorated our wedding cake, which I made myself. We didn't intend to have a wedding cake, but my mom insisted, so I said, "Well, if I have to have one, I'll just make it myself." And, I did, from a recipe we found in Country Living magazine. Instead of traditional music, our friend, Lubbock-based musician D.G. Flewellyn, played the guitar and sang. I walked down the "aisle" with my parents as D.G. sang "The Wedding Song (There is Love)." We wrote our own vows, of course. Afterwards, we all gathered at my little duplex for barbecue and wedding cake.

With all of that planned, fancy, engraved wedding announcements would have been out of character. So, I found some nice cream-colored stationery with a pretty deckle edge. And, with my cartridge/calligraphy pen loaded with brown ink, I hand-wrote each invitation in the form of a letter. At the time, it had been a few years since I had done much calligraphy, so I was a little out of practice. Additionally, with our less-than-formal style, we didn't want an overly flowerly lettering, so I combined a few different scripts until I came up with a Celtic-like look we wanted.

Those letters were a joy to write, inviting our closest friends and family members to a very special day for us. Many came to celebrate with us, and this year we'll celebrate 18 years of marriage.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love your story! I can't believe how many letters you've sent. Yikes! So impressive, and really makes me feel like I need to get the ball rolling on my own correspondence.

Anonymous said...

I love this story of you. Makes me want to visit again!

Rikkij said...

Had I written the invites-it would have been a quiet event as no one could have read the address. Wish I could cali! Letter by ink is becoming a lost art. good to know it has it's defenders. ~Rick

CaffeinatedFrenzy said...

That sounds like a much more wonderful wedding than someone who spends thousands of dollars on one part of the wedding alone. It makes my hand hurt to think about writing that many letters :) But it's great that you have!

Midway Records said...

What a great personal touch to your wedding! I found a letter I started writing to my granddaughter the day she was born & didn't get past the first day at the hospital! That was 12 years ago and still haven't finished it.

cabin + cub said...

Wow! 18 years! That is so sweet. I'm sure your anniversary will be just as personalized as your wedding!

Andrea said...

Congratulations Carla, you have been given an award. See it on my blog:)

Best wishes, A.

Anonymous said...

18 years of marriage. I can't picture it for me, not the marrying type, but I am very happy for you. I am a huge fan of snail mail but some of my friends say my "real" letters make them feel a tiny bit guilty because they only text or email. I still love a nice letter written on linen paper.

I came over by way of Alpha. ~Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...