Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Typewritten letter



After I blogged about the typewriter story yesterday, I was surprised to find an envelope on my desk at work this morning, after the mail was delivered. I rarely get mail at work.

Even more surprising was to see my own home address typed in the upper left corner of the envelope.

It seems that my husband was inspired by the NPR story to find an old typewriter at his office and type me a letter. From his description, the "old" typewriter sounds like it's about he same vintage as the one I received when I went off to college. And, after 20+ years, the quality seems to have declined somewhat. I guess those "daisy wheels" didn't hold up through the years.

Tony was just having fun typing again, after all these years of computer writing. His letter is mostly about typing the letter. At the end of the letter, he does suggest that we find an old typewriter for our daughter to use. We have a couple of really old ones, early 1900s, I'd guess. She likes to push the keys, but they're not in working order right now. We might look for a slightly newer version.


Another interesting thing about Tony's letter to me was the stamp. I noticed it immediately -- not just your ordinary "Forever" stamp. It has Ella Baker and Ruby Hurley, two Civil Rights activists. They are included on the U.S. Postal Service's commemorative "Civil Rights Pioneers" souvenir sheet.

I asked about the stamp. Tony said he asked the post office employee for something different, and she suggested this particular stamp.

That makes the letter even more special.

9 comments:

Karrie said...

I have to say I really enjoy your blog. You bring up so many good points about how electronics have taken over our lives. my husband and I were just talking last night about how we survived without cell phones and how we had to go to the library to look things up. My 14 yr old look at us like we had 4 heads. I also wanted to say I remember playing on an old typewriter that my parents had. i loved it when I was younger :)

The Missive Maven said...

The civil rights leaders stamps are brand-new -- just released last week, I think!

Country Girl said...

How thoughtful of him to send you this letter. And the stamp compliments it nicely, too!

Chrisy said...

What a sweetie your man is!

Hyla said...

Aww, your hubby sounds lovely!

My Inspired Reality said...

What a cool story and lovely blog. I love it and am glad to have found you:):)

Wendy said...

I think it's so great that you're husband is participating in your love for letters.

See how you inspire EVERYONE?? :)

HereBeDragons said...

That is so sweet!
How special.

Anonymous said...

Now that's just sweet! :D

I'm ashamed that I don't readily remember either of the women on his stamps. I learn a lot hanging out with letter-writers. It's always a pleasure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...