Thursday, February 26, 2009

Demise of hotel/motel stationery

Last month, our little family took a little trip to Little Rock, Arkansas, and stayed in a couple of motels during our short trip. When we travel, the first thing my daughter does when we get to a motel/hotel room is look in all the drawers. Then, she unpacks everything, even for a one-night stay.

This trip, one thing was obvious, there was no stationery in the bedside drawers. Now, I'll admit, we weren't staying in the ritziest places, but once upon a time, just about every motel and hotel had some type of writing paper and envelopes in each room.

I'm sure the nicer places may still supply their guests with stationery, but even the last higher-end hotel we stayed in had only a few sheets of been-there-a-while paper.

I guess we've traded fancy hotel stationery for free wi-fi and Internet access.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

i have been in quiet a few hotels lately and I don't think I have ever seen envelopes but I always see a fresh pad of paper and pens.

Jenna Hansen said...

Interesting but so true. Now that I think of it I haven't seen much stationery in the hotels I've stayed in recently. I remember there used to be free postcards in hotels too, not anymore!

John Johnston said...

It's been a long time since I've seen either stationery or postcards in any hotels where I've stayed. Even notepads are becoming more scarce - probably a cost saving measure.

Wendy said...

I think you can still get it if you ask for it. I believe they generally keep a stash at the front desk if it is requested. Try that next time.

I can't believe you were only about an hour and a half from me on your trip!!! :)

PCAB said...

In some hotels you have to ask for stationary at the front desk but I've found most staff don't even know what stationary is.
It is getting harder and harder to find stationary from even higher level hotels. The new tac is printing out a logo from the laser printer and calling it stationary.
I'm disappointed if I can't find it at a place I've stayed.

PCAB said...

Who has the coolest stationary? Any little hotels with stationary?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...